Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Philippine politics 101

Okay, I will be straight with you.

I am pretty drunk at the moment, a couple bottles of third world lager sloshing in my gut and a lot of bad feelings about the things that are happening in this God forsaken country, the Philippines.

When I watch the news, when I hear talk of moves for constitutional amendments and when I read about impeachment moves against Gloria Macapagal Arroyo... I can't help but wonder about what really matters.

Everybody, it seems, is doing their job at this moment. Reporters are reporting, columnists are dishing out opinions, and their usual suspects are doing the best they can to manage the flak they are getting.

At the end the day, I sit back and watch and think... and look around... and see that the people around me are nowhere better off than they were last year or the year before that or the year before that...

We've come a long way from EDSA I and from my vantage point, the Marcos Regime seemed a far much better time than today.

Politics then, no matter how corrupt, had been centralized with one family and their cronies. Today, we are experiencing a war between factions of politcal haves and have nots, it's a very precarious situation.

Not one group can dominate the others and as long as this prevails, there will be chaos.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...