Saturday, July 01, 2006

Freelancing writing

I am between projects right now. And, that doesn't mean I am currently jobless. I am really taking my sweet time before plunging into work again and from the looks of it, next week is going to be one heck of a week.

There's an online real estate guide that needs short zappy copy for about 40 web pages, five radio commercials for the PIA that need scripts, and whole slew of news releases that needs to be written for a brand of sing-along systems.

It'll be a tidy sum when all the checks come in and that'll be in two or three weeks.

All I had to do was to call up people whom I had written for in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they were actually up to their necks in writing projects that needed to be farmed out. One guy was actually about to call me when I called him and was aghast at the apparent synchronicity.

The Universe/God, I said to him, hates vacuums and fills it up as soon as it is discovered. Moreover, it pays to call people for no other reason than to say 'Hi and by the way'... It always works in my favor.

There are days when I really miss getting pay checks from a regular job. But after about a year of freelancing, I've realized that it's actually more fun hunting for pay checks than just collecting one every two weeks -- whether you worked for it or not. It is, by far, a more honest transaction.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...