Friday, May 01, 2009

Lozada's incarceration, protest and martyrdom of sorts? Really?!

"There is no middle ground between right and wrong. Neither should there be fence sitters in the fight between good and evil."

Hold your horses, ambulant balot vendors and pedicabs!

What was Senator Alan Peter "Aw-aw" Cayetano and Mar "Padyakito" Roxas doing visiting Rodolfo "Jun" Lozada?

Cayetano, I can try to understand. But Roxas? I'm really stumped.

Along with the arrest and incarceration of Lozada, individual and groups have come out to denounce what they see as an act meant to presure the whistle-blower in the P14 Billion NBN ZTE deal to retract his statements.

Lozada was arrested on perjury charges filed by Michael "Tol" Defensor. Apparently, this was on account that Lozada claimed that Defensor gave him P50,000 bribe and told him to deny his own statement that he was kidnapped upon his arrival at the NAIA airport from Hong Kong where he went to evade appearance before the Senate Blue Ribbon committee.

Defensor has told Lozada that in order for him to drop the perjury charges, all that Lozada has to do is to recant his testimony. Perhaps, more particularly, the part where he said he was kidnapped.

I can't help but chuckle a bit at the thought of Lozada recanting like US Serviceman Daniel Smith's "rape victim" Nicole.

Here's what Nicole said:

“My conscience continues to bother me realizing that I may have in fact been so friendly and intimate with Daniel Smith at the Neptune Club that he was led to believe that I was amenable to having sex or that we simply just got carried away,” she said.

“I had no opportunity to deny in court that I kissed Daniel Smith but, with the amount of alcoholic mixed drinks I took, my low tolerance level for alcohol and with a slice of pizza all night, it dawned upon me that I may have possibly lost my inhibitions, became so intimate with Daniel Smith and did more that just [dance and talk] with him like everyone else on the dance floor,” Nicole said.
After Nicole's recantation, the Philippine Court of Appeals released a decision saying:

"No evidence was introduced to show force, threat and intimidation applied by the accused" and what happened "was the unfolding of a spontaneous, unplanned romantic episode with both parties carried away by their passions."
Lozada, if he decides to recant, he might just end up saying:

"I was groggy and distraught after realizing that I wasn't going to get a cut from the NBN-ZTE deal. When people came to pick me up at the airport, I thought it was great because I didn't even have money for the taxi fare going home."

Right now, Lozada is playing the Gandhi and has refused to pay bail amounting to P6,000 as a sign of protest.

Give me a break!

He ain't no hero. The only reason why he squealed was because he was either pressured or most likely, agreed to some kind of deal -- given his character. And who would be rich enough to do this? Can you say Itik? Can you say Padyak?

In the court of Pinoy Buzz, I would probably have Lozada along with everyone in involved in the NBN ZTE deal incarcerated.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...