Friday, August 20, 2010

1920's song Mutya ng Pasig carries a message for present day Philippines


"I was once a princess in the kingdom of Love.
When love died so did my kingdom.
My strength has gone and now lives in your hearts.
If you want me to live again, give me back my love!"



My Tiyo Rudy and Tita Rosie (both opera singers) used to sing "Mutya ng Pasig" on major family occasions in our house in Quiapo built by my Lolo Pablo before the war.

While people milled around and partook of a generous buffet of pochero, kare-kare, lechon, morcon, embutido, and other Filipino food, they'd be treated to the powerful voices of the two "stars" of the clan.

I just found a video clip of that song and if you want to listen to it, here it is:



I think the lyrics are old Tagalog, the kind you'd find in Florante't Laura, and very poetic.  It's kind of tough to translate.

Written in 1926, the Tagalog song was inspired by the Kumintang, a traditional song form from Batangas (a province in the Philippines) with Malayan rhythmic pat.

MUTYA NG PASIG
Music by Nicanor Abelardo
Lyrics by Deogracias del Rosario

Kung gabing ang buwan,
sa langit ay nakadungaw;
Tila ginigising ng habagat
sa kanyang pagtulog sa tubig;
Ang isang larawang puti at busilak,
Na lugay ang buhok na animo'y agos;
Ito ang Mutya ng Pasig,
Ito ang Mutya ng Pasig.

Sa kanyang pagsiklot
sa maputing bula,
Kasabay ang awit,
kasabay ang tula;

Dati akong Paraluman,
Sa Kaharian ng pag-ibig,
Ang pag-ibig ng mamatay,
Naglaho rin ang kaharian.

Ang lakas ko ay nalipat,
Sa puso't dibdib ng lahat;
Kung nais ninyong akoy mabuhay,
Pag-ibig ko'y inyong ibigay

Here's somewhat of a literal and abbreviated translation of the song's lyrics in English.

On a night when the moon peeks from the heavens,
when the gentle breeze tries to awaken her from her slumber.

A vision of purity, her hair flows like a wave.
She is the muse of Pasig, whose every gesture is song and poetry.

(the muse speaks)
"I was once a princess in the kingdom of Love.
When love died so did my kingdom.
My strength has gone and now lives in your hearts.
If you want me to live again, give me back my love!"

I think the last two lines bring a very poignant message for all of us who want to see the Pasig River return to its former beauty.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...